Montefalco is one of the most beautiful villages in Umbria. Half an hour's drive from Assisi, fifty minutes from Perugia and just a quarter of an hour from Foligno, this town is located in one of the most scenic areas of the region.
Surrounded by vineyards and olives trees, Montefalco dominates the plain of the Topino and Clitunno rivers from the top of a hill. For this favorable panoramic position since 1568 Montefalco has been given the nickname of Railing of Umbria. From here, on clear days, it is possible to admire a 360 ° panorama that ranges from Perugia to Spoleto, from the Subappennino to the Martani Mountains.
Montefalco owes its name to Frederick II of Swabia. The emperor, visiting the places in the thirteenth century, noting the large number of hawks in the area, decided to change the name of the locality from Coccorone to the current one (Montefalco means the mountain of the hawk). The presence of these birds in the territory has gradually diminished, until it reaches an all-time low in the modern age.
Around 1280 the city was conquered by Todi, as evidenced by the city coat of arms representing an Eagle and placed on a building to the right of Porta di Sant'Agostino, during the period of Todi's occupation the cultivation of grapes for Grechetto began toghter with the oldest tradition of red wine. In the same period took place the construction of the public building (now the seat of the municipality) and also the most important religious buildings. The city thus became the most important fortification of the Todi territory against Foligno and Spoleto until 1383 when it first passed under the Trinci of Foligno and then became like the other Umbrian centers of papal domination.
What to be seen in Montefalco
Montefalco preserves a rich artistic heritage that makes it an essential reference point for the knowledge of Umbrian painting, starting with the San Francesco museum complex which represents a synthesis of history. Surrounded by splendid medieval walls, inside the first wall there are many churches, including the one dedicated to Sant'Agostino. Once in the beautiful circular square you will find the Palazzo Comunale, the former church of San Filippo Neri, now a theater, the small church of Santa Maria de Platea (among the oldest buildings) and significant examples of 16th century stately homes. Also worth a visit are the Romanesque church of San Bartolomeo and the church and convent of Santa Chiara, inside which there is the oldest Sagrantino vine in Montefalco and Umbria, 150 years old. In summer there is also an appointment with "La Fuga del Bove", an annual tradition of Montefalco in which the square is transformed into an open-air theater with the show of the Four Quarters.
The typical cuisine of Montefalco
The cuisine of Montefalco is an essential cuisine that avoids sophistication, genuine, simple, very balanced and strongly linked to the traditions: the culinary tradition of the village is linked to the typical Umbrian gastronomy, which uses genuine products of the countryside and the tasty meats of local farms.
Where to taste Montefalco Sagrantino wine
Montefalco Sagrantino originates from the lands around Montefalco. A native red that owes its international fame to the favorable encounter between the characteristics of the territory, the climatic conditions of the area and the care of the Umbrian winemakers. Founded in 1995, Còlpetrone is one of the most important wineries of the Montefalco DOCG area. The estate can be easily reached from Montefalco, Spoleto, Orvieto and Perugia. It takes just two hours by car from Rome. Visiting this special location of Tenute del Cerro, located in Umbria, offers the exclusive opportunity to participate in Sagrantino vertical tasting or most typical Montefalco wines tasting.